Saturday, February 12, 2011

Enter the Void

I only saw the first forty minutes of the two and a half hour long Enter the Void. Usually, it would not be appropriate to write a review for a film of which I only saw 25% of. This is the exception however, for Enter the Void is so aimless and spectral a film, that you could come into it where I left off, see forty minutes and have the same experience that I had. It's an idiotic, pretentious film. Using blasting lights and camera tricks galore, talented filmmaker Gaspar Noe has made a true anti-masterpiece. Let me describe what story there was. We meet a drugged out loser in his hotel (or possibly apartment) in Tokyo. His girlfriend (Paz de la Huerta) leaves, he gets high, we get a light show. He leaves, goes to make a drug deal while baked, and is shot and killed. He leaves his body and floats around to see his girlfriend and a menagerie of other characters. So fucking dumb. I'm sorry, but the only way I could possibly see myself liking this movie is if I were baked. For, I don't see any difference between Oscar (the dead drugee floating around) dead or alive. Either way, he's baked. I wish I was, I would have been more entertained. But that's the problem with the film: we don't care about Oscar and no matter what his spirit views he can't change it because he's dead. By the way, for all the camera tricks, the camera is so incessantly shaky and hover-like that it ruins every image. Dumb. Stupid. Pretentious. Unredeemable.
Enter the Void: ✰1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment