Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dracula

I'm afraid (haha) that Dracula is the kind of film I trenchantly admire and few else do. It seems quite long, the beginning especially, the audio blows, and the visuals and killings are done with such phantasmagoria that they can be seen as foolish and not scary. But I believe Dracula to be the most admirable of the old horror films, as well as one of the first films that took an effect upon me. Prior to films like this one, I thought of film as purely a matter of spectacle: Show me something cool and I'll buy the tickets. But Dracula is such a visual experience that that is why it took such an effect upon me. It's so damn atmospheric and creepy that I was totally immersed in the film. I believed in a world. I believed in the culture that existed here, where women are the sex toys to men like Count Dracula. The fear and mounting tension, the catacombic aura, and the stoic face of the great Bela Lugosi affected me in a way that made me love films.

No comments:

Post a Comment