Monday, January 17, 2011

Antichrist

Okay, what to say about Antichrist, a film about pure evil. Two things to start off, these are the essential things you have to know. 1) I don't think anyone in the world should ever see Antichrist, it is so grotesque and disgusting that I threw up when I first saw it. It is so disgusting the parental guide description on IMDb will make people sick. 2) It's actually not a bad movie. Despite what occurs in Antichrist, it happens for a reason. We start with a beautifully filmed and horrific scene where a child falls from a window. The snow that falls against the night sky, the silvery images are very, very well done. Hell, the whole film is well done! The first hour is the creepiest and best horror movie you will ever watch. The second hour is not even a part of absurdity, but absolute, intentional disgust. After the child has died, we have to endure grief with the parents. They go to a cabin in the woods to mend their wounds, and all hell breaks loose. The second hour is quite problematic, it's so shocking and frankly gross that I didn't enjoy what I was seeing. The last scene is, again, beautiful. We understand what occurs in the film, we can understand the insanity, but it makes us sick. I think that Antichrist is the scariest film ever made, an achievement in horror. I hate parts of it, but I think I'm supposed to. I'm not sure if Antichrist is a great film, or even if I like it.
Antichrist: ★★★1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment