Monday, November 29, 2010

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I would be lying if I didn't honestly say that I did not like this film. After rewatching and catching bits of wit within the early Potter movies, this one was a huge disappointment. It doesn't mean anything. It's nothing. The book was dark and disturbing, I'm not sure if I like it very much. It is so unrelenting in its cruelty that it angered me, and the payoffs where the kids strike back at the Voldemort denying Ministry puppets were not good enough. There is no magic in this movie. Or there is very little. There is no comedy. I also admit I couldn't help but enjoy the characters and the wonderful actors who by this point are so natural in their parts some are star making (Emma Watson). But this is a devious movie. It has one especially sick scene where the entire group of students who have been secretly practicing to protect themselves are sitting before a fat old woman carving into their hands. And it's not at first noticeable, but look closer and be sickened. However, there are some very good bits of the movie, despite its many problems (which is inevitable in a film series as long as this). Some of the scenes at the ministry are very well done, as are some of the early scenes (the scene with Dudley is masterful). I don't think that this movie should be forgiven for not being very good. I love Harry Potter, and this isn't bad, but after so many good films, it's such a disappointment to see a mediocre one like this.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: ★★

No comments:

Post a Comment