Sunday, November 14, 2010

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Nine years ago this film came out. I'm sure I didn't see it in theatres, but I remember that after reading the first book I wondered how the hell they could make a movie out of it. The result was one of the best fantasy pictures ever made. It sounds silly to suggest it, but the film was magical. It was dark and felt cold, the castle felt way too big and the creatures looked so realistic. The actors in the film were especially great. Especially Emma Watson as Hermione. They are so convincing and natural in their parts. Usually movies based on the book leave a lot out, and I supposed Sorcerer's Stone does leave a lot out, but its the most faithful of all the films. The direction is also very smart, Chris Columbus specializes in this kind of movie. I suppose the worth of Sorcerer's Stone lies in how real it feels, despite it's magical qualities. I also note that Dumbledore is very well played in this film. Snape is also excellent. Harry Potter effected me in the same way that Star Wars did. It creates a whole other world.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: ★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment